The Writer's Port
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

it's 4pm and coffee time

4 posters

Go down

it's 4pm and coffee time Empty it's 4pm and coffee time

Post  Tobiejo Mon Feb 16 2009, 17:59

ok time for a cup of black coffee, while supper is cooking and I'm just chillin out.

Tobiejo
Admin

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Back to top Go down

it's 4pm and coffee time Empty Seconded but slowing down

Post  Dan Ellsworth Mon Feb 16 2009, 19:49

Black coffee for me, too, please, but for late afternoon, I slow it down. Serious coffee-chugging is for morning, for me. This evening at the men's group, good chance of coffee and I'll have a cup. Maybe think of this group as well as where I am at the time. Taking it easy between a lively afternoon's work and supper.

Dan Ellsworth
Admin

Number of posts : 57

Back to top Go down

it's 4pm and coffee time Empty Re: it's 4pm and coffee time

Post  williamwriter Sun Feb 22 2009, 00:11

Pour me a cup of decaf and add an eighth of a cup of half & half.
Now, to just prop up my feet and relax. I like how holding the cup of hot coffee in my hands warms them!

Taking a sip, "So, how's life treating you?"

Then, looking into the eyes of the group gathered,
it's 4pm and coffee time Look_a10
"I frankly don't know where my life is going right now. I have just been elected to the office of Youth Director at my church and I am awed by the responsibility and horrified at the lack of resources, especially support personnel. I am a Deacon and have been given some recent tasks that will take a little work. I am a member of the Nominating Committee and the Stewardship (finance) Committee. I chair the Sound Committee and the Counting Committee (count and take to the bank the offering deposits). I teach Middle School at Sunday School Bible Study each Sunday morning and Middle School Team Kids on Wednesday nights."

"When I am doing it a piece at a time, I do well. But when I think about all these jobs at one time, like now, I am overwhelmed!"

"But"', I take another drink. "I am not complaining. God has given me talents and abilities. He also empowers me. I will give Him my all."

"Anyway, I have a lot on my mind these days"

"Maybe I will go fishing this Tuesday..."

"Well, I have finished my coffee and so I will go read some short stories or do some writing. Take care until next time.
Yours,
-William
williamwriter
williamwriter
Admin

Number of posts : 38

Back to top Go down

it's 4pm and coffee time Empty Major Ministry Modules!

Post  Dan Ellsworth Sun Feb 22 2009, 00:35

William, yes, one at a time. I like the picture. I imagine you giving me a solid handshake, and in person, our mind-to-mind, spirit-to-spirit meeting would continue and intensify. I'm having evening coffee now, with some things to do before tomorrow when we start teaching a Sunday School class (adults, Gospel of Mark), AND we start a four-night vacation trip. One at a time or it's overwhelming, right?

Dan Ellsworth
Admin

Back to top Go down

it's 4pm and coffee time Empty What a nice looking man

Post  Tobiejo Sun Feb 22 2009, 01:17

You are very nice looking man,William and your time is laden with deeds for the Lord, rewards are gathered as you strive to do for others in many unmeasured ways.Though I would say you do them to serve our great Lord with pleasure.

I had powered donuts and milk, now its time to say goodnight, have a great day tomorrow. Tobie

Tobiejo
Admin

Back to top Go down

it's 4pm and coffee time Empty Taxes Day

Post  Dan Ellsworth Wed Mar 04 2009, 13:17

I've done some early work, but today and tomorrow are set aside for me to do our taxes. Judy has for years gathered information for itemizing deductions, but last year we just barely went into Standard Deduction, and this time the case for itemizing might be even worse.

Semi-political sidelight: I just remembered a man at the church of my youth talking about the "Givermint". He was a farmer with an intelligent and wry sense of humor.

What does my personal Tax Day have to do with coffee? Quite a lot, people, quite a lot. Judy has the kettle on low heat, I use instant coffee, and I don't have to wait for the coffee to fuel my dive into the forms and follies.

Dan Ellsworth
Admin

Back to top Go down

it's 4pm and coffee time Empty Need another tax day

Post  Dan Ellsworth Thu Mar 05 2009, 15:55

It was a fair day of tax work yesterday, but I need a few more mugs of coffee. What is it about me? I like brewed and/or flavored coffees, but a house-brand instant tastes good enough.

Dan Ellsworth
Admin

Back to top Go down

it's 4pm and coffee time Empty A Thank you, and then...Ministry and Taxes

Post  William Sat Mar 07 2009, 21:14

Thanks, Tobie

I've gotten chubby in my older years. Can't find the little dimples anymore because they are part of a crease now, but I will take the compliments when I still can Laughing But I speak out of embarassment. Thanks for the compliment.

Now, to get back on an exercise and diet plan!

I am glad to be a part of a Web Site where the members value and share ministries done in the Lord. sunny

I plan to start on my taxes soon. I have pretty much gotten things organized, but will wait just a few more days before beginning this yearly task. Y'know, I don't mind doing my fair share, but I hate stuff like "penalties for not figuring out exactly how much to have taken out" and this AMT thing. I mean, it's not like you can easily figure that if you have a job and your wife has a job and you are getting this money for your military pension, and they are all added together for taxes but not for having money taken out on your W-4s, that you can correctly estimate that I have to file for zero dependents plus have X amount of extra dollars taken out to keep from being penalized when I have no intention of cheating... I mean, its bad enough having to do all this without all these people in Washington that make the rules having to treat you like a criminal. Why aren't they pleased with those supporting their spending spree instead of treating us like their enemies... Uuuhhmm, calm down, William, and get off your little soap box...

...And ministry. I love teaching and preaching, but I don't enjoy being placed in confrontational situations with 18 year old boys who want to paw the girls and disregard the rules. I know that the rebellous ones need to be reached as much as the others, but I hate not being able to reach the ones who are interested because I have to occupy my time with disciplining those who dare me to cross them. I have the same courage standing up to these as I did fighting the Viet Nam war, but I don't won't to spend my entire life on the edge!

Everyone wants a good Youth Program and they have a lot of ideas of how I can do it. And they have a lot to tell me of how I should do things. At least when I fought in the war, those who were on the ship with me were a part of the team. Never once did my Captain say, "William, you are the soldier and here is what you need to do. We don't have many weapons or support to give you, but we are counting on you to win this battle for us. Oh, and by the way, don't let the enemy fight on the decks that we normally use for our parties and make sure the enemy doesn't bother us while you are fighting them. Oh, and also, why aren't you using the resources from the other ships and what are you doing about the enemy's noisy guns that disturb us?"

"Oh, I know I am not being a good Christian because I am complaining..." And then they wonder why young people don't like to come to church.

Okay, now that I've gotten that out of my system... Laughing

But I do love to teach and preach Cool and I would love to bring these young folks, even the criminal ones, to Christ.

And on a lighter note, I had a wonderful day in town with Linda today! Usually after a hard week at work, she doesn't want to go back into town on the Weekend. Today, however, we went into town and shopped for a new floor scrubber...I had ran over a screw with the old one and, while repairing it, I broke one of those plastic parts inside. I couldn't get a new part and... well, I got the new one assembled. But she enjoyed getting out and having a good day.

Whoops, I let my coffee get cold while doing all this ranting! Guess I will filll up again. Just black please with an ice cube so I don't burn my tongue...aahhhh, that is might good! It don't get much better than this! Smile

Yours,
-William
William
William
Admin

https://thewritersport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

it's 4pm and coffee time Empty 9 pm randoms

Post  Dan Ellsworth Sat Mar 07 2009, 23:12

So, let's see how dark blue comes out. It is a little too late for anything more than re-heating this one-third of a cup of coffee for 36 seconds in the microwave, but I think I'll do that.

William, I remember the frustration from a brief time of public-school teaching so long ago, of wanting to relate to the students and subject matter, but being considered deficient as a teacher because I was not an effective policeman -- at the same time. I don't have answers, I just felt some parallel experience there.

I have a few tax rants, and have even composed a humorous writing, wryly named "Fun With Taxes", a few years ago, but I haven't time to get into it now. Oddly, the U.S. sends me a big basic booklet of forms and instructions, and Michigan sent nothing -- but there was a stack at the local library.

Our day is running late. I have to go to supper soon.

Dan Ellsworth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williamwriter Mon Mar 09 2009, 22:31

Just grounded some Joe Muggs beans that I got from Books-a-Million. I mixed in some already ground Juan Valdez Intense Coffee for Expresso. My Mr. Coffee will have me a brew in no time.

Y-e-e-s-s, that's good coffee! Now I am ready to write.

The dark blue came out nice, Dan. I hadn't noticed the alternate light and darker light blue background that separates the post and replies. That darker background makes it harder to see.

Well, I had my little rant over the Youth Director job, but three things for sure.

1. I am not going to do any of the work by myself this time. If I can't get the other workers involved in a youth event, we just won't have it.

and

2. I will work on a way to get the wayward ones under control.

and

3. I will do it our (the Youth Team's) way and if I am scolded, I will just explain what we are attempting to accomplish and ask them to be part of the solution.

As for the taxes...I got my little box today... the one I have used every year since '99. That is, TaxCut Premium Federal. It's cheaper than Jackson-Hewitt or some other place and it allows me to check all my work. I think Turbo-Tax is better in layout and look, but Tax Cut is so much simpler for me. The first year I used the computer disc for doing taxes, I tried them both. I found that Turbo-Tax was the same as doing them with just the booklet.

Linda says that I just keep things inside and they build up. Then, according to her, I reach a point where I explode. Then I immediately go back to my calm disposition, I guess I am the only application of the Big Bang that is actually true! Linda says to me, "I know you. And you know I'm right."
To that, I have to agree.

Well, I am sitting here looking at the cover for my Tax Cut program and wondering why all those people on it, that are looking at me, are smiling. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Are the company executives happy because they have just sold another product to make money off the yearly ritual...or...Are they laughing at me because I have to go through this American ritual again? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Well, I just put it aside until tomorrow or...how many weeks do I have? And, of course, there's the automatic extension... elephant
Well, I will jump on it Thursday fer shure.

Well, I have peered into my cup and there is not a drop left. I guess I will go get a refill! Cool
williamwriter
williamwriter
Admin

Back to top Go down

it's 4pm and coffee time Empty Your coffee seems to work.

Post  Dan Ellsworth Tue Mar 10 2009, 00:19

William, you throw out mental sparks in several directions. I enjoy the show. It's a better stimulant than coffee.

I admit, I watch at least part of the Tonight Show (Jay Leno) for the Headlines segment. I don't remember them well, but they are fun at the time.

Dan Ellsworth
Admin

Back to top Go down

it's 4pm and coffee time Empty I finally did one!

Post  Dan Ellsworth Thu Jun 11 2009, 19:10

I wrote something, posted to this group. It's part true story and part essay, but I think I'll declare it 57% essay and post it there. Well, actually I did, at "https://thewritersport.forumotion.com/dan-s-corner-f9/watching-two-generations-play-t76.htm#234". Does that link work?

I was really sleepy early afternoon, and have had three mugs of coffee since then -- instant, as usual. Sometimes I can tell the difference between instant and brewed coffee, but I don't care. That is probably enough coffee for a while, if I intend to have a decent night's sleep.

I have a summary line when I see someone I haven't seen in years:

I have seen all three of my sons as good fathers.

Now that is a flavor to savor.

Dan Ellsworth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  williamwriter Sat Jun 13 2009, 23:39

Hi, Dan!

I've missed you and the rest! Crying or Very sad I have been caught up in life and have spent less time on line since I retired than since when I used to have to work a job and could only go on line at the end of a hard work day!!

PAUSE while I sip my tea! Very Happy Yes, a new thing for me. I have been drinking cans of Diet Mountain Dew for the past 10 to 12 months. Now I am worried over what Aspartame may be doing to my brain, so I have decided to drink unsweet iced tea. I fill my Mr. Coffee to the 12 cup mark, pour it in the reservoir, put 3 big sized Lipton tea bags into the pot, and turn it on. I have been using the regular bags, but I have bought decaf bags and am thinking of doing a two decaf and 1 regular routine. I pour my tea into 3 quart bottles and finish filling the bottles with ice from my refrig. ice maker. So now when I crave a drink, I pull out a quart of tea.

I read one of your Dan Corner items, but have not answered yet. I look forward to reading your new entry.

I used your link and got the Writer's Port home page. But I can find you okay from there and I have been trying to keep up with the boards about once a week anyway.

This week was VBS and I was tied up with teaching, running the sound for each morning's kickoff, and keeping the money sorted and getting it to the bank piece meal.

I will spend some time talking about it in the next few days, but not now! I am gonna get some rest for tomorrow.
However, I had two feelings at the end of my last class Friday. First, and most deeply, I felt as I was leaving friends behind to go on a trip. I sat in my room after everyone had gone home and I felt a sadness that meeting and teaching those young ones was over. I also felt a relief from the drudgery of the work of all the other things I had to do. The preparation for each class and the actual teaching was so wonderful. All the other administrative stuff and the "putting up" with other junk going on was so overwhelming. Dan, I tell you, I have been more hurt and hindered by church members than any other people or groups that I have run into as I tried to do what I feel God is leading me to do. I know that sounds so negative, but it may be just because those are the only folks that I really have to deal with as I do work in the Christian vein.

Well, I look forward to reading your piece. I did sneak a quick preview and like what I saw!

Catch ya later! Very Happy
Yours,
-William
williamwriter
williamwriter
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content